Are You Sabotaging Your Own Emails by Not Optimizing for Different Platforms?
Email marketing can be tricky enough without us making the task even more difficult. With mobile email open rates increasing rapidly, it can be a virtual death sentence for your small business should you ignore optimizing your marketing emails for small screens.
Mobile email opens are exploding!
According to a study by Knotice.com, mobile opens accounted for 36 percent of all email opens in early 2012. Also, it’s by far (by 74 percent!) the preferred method of communication by online adults. And it’s not just phones on one platform either. ReturnPath reports that iPhones make up 59 percent of the open rate share, iPads 26 percent, Androids 14 percent and Windows phones and devices less than 1 percent. The takeaway here is that it’s not simply phones, and not necessarily out and about.
Here are a few tips for optimizing your emails for mobile
So not to leave you without a plan for perfecting your marketing emails, below are a few actionable tips that will help ensure your marketing messages appear the way you want them to!
- Keep your messages short. People, particularly on mobile devices, have a short attention span. Generate punchy, alluring subject lines and material that keeps the reader engaged.
- Keep your image files small, as large files take a lot longer to load, and this can be a disaster as many won’t wait, and just move on, before they’ve even viewed what you’ve got for them.
- Try for a font size of at least 14. Something smaller may very well be automatically changed, and wreak havoc on the way you’ve laid out your formatting.
- Make sure any calls to action are adequately sized for easy tapping. The normal adult fingertip measures around 45 pixels, so bear that in mind.
- Make certain you test your marketing emails on the various mobile platforms prior to clicking the send button! This is worth the couple of minutes it will take!
Optimizing your emails is not a choice if you’re wanting to win with email. You need to get on this today, as you can be sure your competitors will!