Why deal with all the trouble of putting up a spiffy site and then have people disappear as fast as they get there? There are various reasons people will leave for greener pastures, and there’s also specific ways for you to help ensure that they stick around a tad longer. Let’s look at why you might have this issue.
Things you might be doing wrong
It’s no mystery why people abandon your pages, and it’s also simple to fix. Here are several of the more prevalent reasons.
- Long load times – You have less than 3 seconds to get your site loaded, or most people are gone. This is your number one goal, to give your visitor a chance. Check your site load speed often, and make it load lightning fast!
- No mobile connectivity – More than 50 percent of all Web searches are now done from a mobile platform, and if you’re not able to be seen, wellâ€¦
- Making visitors jump through hoops – If you make your visitors give too much, you’ll see that they’ll be just uncomfortable enough to move on. Don’t make demands!
- Unsure about site security – If your site looks sketchy, particularly when you’re trying to sell something there, don’t be surprised if they exit stage left! Check into adding security badges that are appropriate.
- Poor site navigation – Take a close look at your site navigation and figure out if it makes sense. Can you get to where you wish to go when you visit, or is it unclear or worse, complicated. This should be a prime area of testing for you.
- No clear focus – What are you doing on your page? What’s the purpose, and is it clear? Is the page cluttered with a blinking cauldron of ads that have little to do with your site?
- Nothing going on – If a visitor arrives and finds that your last content was posted a year or two ago, that your social media counters show no stats, and there aren’t any comments or conversations going on, how would you react?