At this point we all know that social media isn’t an option, but a necessity, but on the other hand many aren’t sure how to go about it with any degree of effectiveness.
Social media is amazing in its ability to extend your reach beyond what you might generate on your own, but that is also the same way that it could hurt you. Let’s look at 5 mistakes you could be making that will hurt.
5 Killer mistakes to avoid in your social media marketing
- Not enough visuals – Let’s face it, we enjoy visual content. Whether it’s a video, image or infographic, visuals are apt to engage your audience in so many more ways, and for the better at the same time. And understand that often it doesn’t even have to be your own content you’re sharing; though you should not make it a habit to post only others visuals.
- Selling too much – No one likes to be constantly sold to, and please don’t treat your social followers this way. They will quickly move on, leaving you with no one to talk to!
- Deleting negative entries – If you are seen as excising any negative comment from your pages, it will swiftly come back to bite you. People will wonder if what is being said about your company is true, and you’ve just thrown out a great opportunity to shine through providing exceptional customer service.
- Buying likes and followers – This may seem like a great idea, but actually, those thousands of followers you purchased for $5 don’t give a hoot about you, and there is nothing more damning than going to a page with thousands of followers and absolutely no other engagement. Oops.
- LikeBait – Similarly, crafting controversial or enticing headlines to generate tons of likes and shares, while sharing little of real value other than a cleverly worded headline is a sure way to send readers scurrying for the exit. So much so, that recently Facebook announced they are putting a change in their algorithm to curb this.